CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 5, 2008

pickin' corn




That was then:
The smell of corn brings back so many memories for me. Some good, and honestly most not so good. As a girl in my early teens, the last thing I wanted to do was be dragged out of bed oh so early in the morning to tug HUGE paper bags up and down the field picking corn. It was hot, yet we wore long sleeves to avoid the itch of the corn stalks- which in turn made it dreadfully hot. Many times there would be earwigs- which are just creepy. We would sit in the back of our pickup selling the corn all day. Then at the end of the summer we would use the money to take family vacations. Was it worth it, yes. Did I think it was worth it back then... maybe.
I used to find it so funny to see how many pieces of corn on the cob my Grandpa Hammond would eat. He would happily consume 8 or 9 pieces of corn, mashed potatoes, gravy, roast and rolls- then he would announce that his hunger pangs had nearly subsided. I miss him so much...
This is now:
My dad dropped off corn on the cob to my family- at our house- no work required. Beautiful! At our house we call Grandpa Garth's garden the Harry Potter garden as it is truly magical. Everything is giant sized and beautiful. Josh claims it to be the best garden in the world. And the corn? Of course it is amazing- Josh eats 4-5 pieces each meal. Tack it on to things we will miss when we move- Harry Potters Garden...

0 comments: