CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm smooshin up a baby bumblebee...


Yesterday we went to a friend's house for a BBQ. Josh and Zack were out chasing quails by the barn and suddenly Josh came running out screaming that Zack was covered in bees- followed by Zack running and screaming for his life. I checked him out and it looked like he had found a hornet nest. There were over 20 stings and he was miserable. I quickly gave him some Benadryl and put baking soda on the stings. About ten minutes later he broke into hives and began to turn red. I threw him in the van (was told by the ER that I should have called 911) and took him to the hospital. As we got closer he began to clear his throat like he had something in it and then started to cry without getting much air. I could tell he was having a hard time breathing and ran him into the ER. After carrying Zack/running from the parking lot to the ER doors (it is up-hill and Zack weighs 45 lbs) we were both struggling for air... They got some meds in him quickly. By then he was covered in hives from head to toe and the trunk of his body was very hot but his head and fingers were freezing. He was miserable but knocked out fairly quickly from all the Benadryl they gave him at the hospital. We stayed for a couple of hours and his hives began to fade. They said I could take him home, so I loaded him up and headed for the door. Just as I reached the door, he puked all down the front of me. I turned around and went back into the ER. They gave him a shot and made us stay for another hour and a half. It was a long night, but he is feeling much better today. His left shoulder and right hand took the brunt of the stings and they are still very swollen today. We have to carry around the EPI pen with us now wherever we go. It is scary to know that something so simple can kill him so quickly. As if I didn't have enough to worry about already just having three boys! (see sweet jump post below!)
You can see his swollen left shoulder and right hand in the picture. It is after we got home from the hospital and so most of the hives were gone from his legs and face...

8 comments:

Tonia said...

It sounds like you've had quite a week! Josh going off his "sweet jump", "losing" Bradley at the park and finally poor Zack. That is seriously scary! I'm glad that he's doing o.k. and that this story had a happy ending!

Camille said...

Poor kid! Eli had a similar incident last year -but luckily no reaction. That is so scary. AND, I love that your kids like Napolean Dynamite. It makes me want to watch it tonight....I think I will.
And- I think that it is better that you really didn't lose Bradley- that was hilarious to read about.

Suzie said...

AHH! That's so scary, glad everyone's ok!

Amy said...

Losing your mind is totally expected when you have so many boys. At least that is what my psychiatrist says. I am glad that your boys are all safe. Maybe a little less Bee Movie and Napoleon would be a good idea.

Tiffany Gremmert said...

That is the sadest thing ever. How scary. I would be in practical hysterics. I'm glad he is doing better. We loved seeing you guys!

Mike and Kim said...

Wow!! That is just way to much excitement for one week!!! I'm glad everyone survived

Hanah said...

Wow so scary!! I'm glad he's ok! We had a somewhat near death incident with our Bradley last June, and we did have to wait for the ambulance which in our case probably saved him because I took him out of his carseat which helped him to breath better, but it was aggonizing waiting there on the side of the road for the ambulance to come, when we could have been to the hospital already. You probably made the right decision in not waiting, especially because of how severe he was. Glad that they have medical advances so that you can have that life saving medecine (EPI pen) when you need it.

Kara said...

good luck with that! I am glad that he is okay!! Was Ryan home?